School playgrounds therefore have a marked impact on children's learning and development
At King Solomon International Business School in Birmingham, we believe the playground or as we refer to it `outdoor classroom` is important in the daily lives of all our pupils, even more so because we are in the inner city.
We have a vision of an ideal outdoor classroom for stimulating the senses of our children to play and learn, and we need you to help us make it a reality.
Having just been through an extensive renovation of our school building and the recent completion of a new sports hall, the time is now right to focus on this vision.
We want to raise £25,000 to provide a state-of-the-art play area where children can have the best experience possible.
The funds would be used to adapt and enhance the current playground and install play and sporting equipment including a climbing frame and basketball hoops and to provide seating and soft flooring and line markings.
We believe launching a crowdfunding campaign is a fantastic way to engage our whole community and beyond in the effort to raise funds. Any donation will make a huge difference to the future lives of our children. Thank you!
These are some of the reasons we prioritise outdoor play:
The Experts Agree That Playgrounds Are Essential
1. Albert Einstein said that, “Play is the highest form of research.”
2. The "Novelty-Arousal Theory" indicates that people function better when they experience a change of pace. (Ross, 2012) This means that children with conditions such as ADHD respond better to classroom learning after a change of pace - such as time on a playground.
3. Studies have demonstrated that physically active students have improved academic performance and easily obtained higher test scores as well as developing a far better outlook toward school.
Playgrounds Have Health Benefits
4. Immune function is improved by exposure to sunlight, and even half an hour on a playground triggers the body's reaction.
5. Playgrounds are a prime location for allowing children to maintain and build cardiovascular endurance and health.
6. Playgrounds provide a place for "full body" workouts that include exercises to strengthen the arms, legs, torso, shoulders, and so on. The cardiovascular system, circulatory system, and neurological system of the child are nurtured, too.
7. Daily exercise in a playground can do wonders for reducing the risks of obesity.
8. Physical activity also stimulates brain activity and improves circulation to the blood vessels in the brain. This brings water, oxygen, and glucose to the brain at a higher rate than it does to the brain of the inactive child.
Development Is Supported by Playgrounds
9. Sunlight (gained from time on playgrounds) stimulates the body to make Vitamin D, which is important to development, as well as learning.
10. The equipment in playgrounds helps children of any age level to develop motor skills.
11. Climbing equipment stimulates cognitive skills like memory, problem solving, and visualization. It puts to use the perceptual motor skills and increases fitness ability. It enhances body and spatial awareness and develops most of the motor skills.
Playgrounds Have a Profound Emotional Impact
12. Mastering the different apparatuses on a playground will provide a child with physical challenges but will also ensure that self-confidence and self-esteem are boosted, too.
13. The unstructured nature of playground time allows children to retain a sense of control that is not available in many other parts of their lives. (Ross, 2012)
Crowdfunding relies on building as large a ‘crowd’ as possible to support our project so please help us by sharing this appeal on your own social networks and by donating as much as you can. Every donation helps. Thank you!